Foreign university graduates

University graduates constitute a large number of immigrants to Sweden. These pages include a short description of different educational paths to graduate careers. And how to proceed in order to have your professional competence assessed. Start the slideshow to show the different paths or go directly to the page "Careers for university graduates".


What is applicable to you as a university graduate from outside Sweden?

  • Start the guide

Documentation from another country than Sweden?

When you seek work, apply to university or for supplementary education (e.g. for professional status qualification) you require documentation concerning your education.

Certificates need to be translated unless they are in Swedish, any of the Nordic languages or in English, French, German or Spanish.

  • No documents
  • Documents in Swedish, English etc.
  • Documents in another language

No documents

If you wish to be assessed, but have no documentary proof of your qualifications, you can refer to the higher education institution concerned. However, such educational centres have no obligation to carry out an evaluation if you are not a student there.

  • Next step

Documents that need to be translated

If your grades and certificates are in not in Swedish, any of the other Nordic languages, English, German, French or Spanish then they may need to be translated. This may be so that the employer understands if your grades are relevant to the work you seek. It may also be to apply for studies at university level or for supplementary education.

If you are registered with the Swedish Employment Service (Af) you may receive help with the translation. If you are not registered, you must rely on an authorised translator.

  • Next step

Which type of education do you have?

Which agency you shall turn to in order to have your education assessed depends on the type of education you have and whether it is completed or not.

  • Completed higher education
  • Commenced higher education
  • Upper secondary education
  • Vocational education and training
  • Regulated profession
  • Other education

Completed higher education

Documents (e.g. grades) are sent to the Swedish Council for Higher Education where ENIC-NARIC Sweden decides on recognition of qualifications. Only completed higher education counts for this assessment. You then receive a statement that briefly indicates which Swedish degree your education corresponds to.

Commenced higher education

The higher education institutions evaluate what can be taken into account of your earlier studies. You should mention that you have previous experience corresponding to the entry requirements when you make your application.

Contact the institution, which has the education you are interested in, for guidance.

Upper secondary education

The Swedish Council for Higher Education assesses foreign grades.

You must be resident and nationally registered in Sweden to have your grades assessed. You can have a preliminary assessment to know what your education corresponds to here in Sweden; otherwise the evaluation is made in connection with your application for university studies.

Vocational education and training

The Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education evaluates vocational training carried out after high school (upper secondary school) but not at universities.

You obtain a statement briefly describing your foreign vocational education and the equivalent Swedish qualification.

Regulated profession

Certain professions are regulated; this means there are stipulated conditions for working within such an occupation. To be able to work in such a profession you must first seek recognition from the relevant authority.

This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies