Children aged 0-5

​​Having a child of pre-school age means great joy but also many challenges for you as a parent.

Children who are born in Sweden

Children who are born in Sweden have the same citizenship as their parents have. If the child’s parents are citizens of a country outside of the EU, the parents must apply for a residence permit for the child. The child will most often receive the same permit as the parents have.

On the home page of The Swedish Migration Board you can read more about children who are born in Sweden.

Acknowledgement of paternity

If the child's parents are married and the mother is registered in the population register in Sweden, the husband is registered as the father of the child. If the
child's parents are not married, the father of the child must acknowledge his paternity. In most municipalities, it is the social welfare board that deals with issues of paternity, but this might also be handled by social district boards or municipal district boards.

If the child's mother is an asylum seeker when the child is born, and is not married to the other parent, the child's paternity and maternity must be registered in conjunction with registration in the population register. This is done after the child has been granted a residence permit in Sweden.

The child’s development

The child will go through many developmental phases and it is usual that parents will have many questions about the child’s development.

In 1177 Healthcare information service (1177 Vårdguiden) you can read more.

Child safety

It is important to child proof your home if you have a child of this age.

Here you can read more about child safety.

Parental insurance

Parental insurance means that parents can be away from work in order to take care of their child. It is called parental leave. When you have parental leave you can seek parental support from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

It is usual that both women and men take off from work or studies in order to be home with their children. The division of parental leave between the parents has strong connections to the perspective of the rights relating to children. A child has a right to close contact with its parents.

Read more about parental insurance on the Swedish Social Insurance Agency’s home page.


If you are working or studying, your child may go to pre-school for the entire day starting at one year of age. It is a right. If you do not work or study, the child may nonetheless go to a public pre-school for some hours a day starting at 3 years of age.

The municipalities are responsible for there being pre-schools and for children being offered places in them.

Read more on the Swedish National Agency for Education’s website About Swedish Schools.

The child's health

Children’s Health Care (Barnhälsovården) focuses on children from birth till the start of the pre-school class. A central mission of children’s health care is to follow all children’s health, development and living situations.

Children’s health care central offers health care examinations and vaccinations, but you can also get advice on everything which affects your child’s development.

When your child is sick and needs health care, you can turn to the health care central.

Here you can read more about the child’s health.

Advice and support

There are various places in the municipality to which you can turn in order to get advice and support, to receive parenting training, or to share experiences with other parents.

Here you can read more about where you can turn.


This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies