Unaccompanied children

If you arrive in Sweden to seek asylum without your mother or father, and if you are under 18 years old, you are referred to as an unaccompanied child. In Sweden you are considered a child until you turn 18. You have to submit your asylum application to the Migration Board.

Asylum-seeking children have the same rights as other children in Sweden, for example:

  • You have the right to express your opinion.
  • You have the right to be heard.
  • You have the right to medical and dental care if you need them.
  • You have the right to attend school.

You can also be granted temporary residence permit (abbreviated TUT in Swedish). When this temporary residence permit expires, you can apply for an extension. Your temporary residence permit may be extended if you are still in need of protection.

This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on informationsverige.se you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies