Health and medical care

​All children in Sweden have a right to medical care. While you're at school, there are also pupil health services to support you.

Care during the asylum period

During the asylum period you have the same right to care as children who live in Sweden. If you become ill or need care of any kind, your guardian ad litem must see to it that everything works as it should for you. If, for example, you need to see a doctor, you should be accompanied by staff from your home, not by your guardian ad litem. The guardian ad litem's task is to ensure that your needs are met.

If you're seeking care you need to take a your LMA card with you.

School health care

All pupils at school must have access to pupil health services. These must promote health and work preventively. Pupil health services must also support your development as a pupil, so you can achieve the goals set for your education.

  • For pupils' health, the following must be available:
  • School doctor
  • School nurse
  • Psychologist
  • School welfare officer
  • Staff qualified in special pedagogy for those pupils who require it.

During your time at comprehensive school, you will be offered three health appointments. These are ordinary check-ups. In upper secondary school you will be offered at least one such appointment. If necessary, you can also turn to pupil health services for simple medical procedures.

The people you meet in pupil health services (school doctors, school nurses, school welfare officers and school psychologists) may not disclose any information about you or your health to other staff or other people without your agreement.

Health, medicines and prescriptions

If you've been prescribed medicine, you go to a pharmacy to pick it up. You pay a partial cost for prescription medicine. How much depends on how much the medicine costs and whether you are an asylum seeker or have a residence permit. You must show approved ID when you pick up the medicine at the pharmacy.

When you have medicine prescribed, you should ask about the medicine until you really understand how it works and how you are meant to use it. For example, you can ask:

  • Why you're being given the medicine.
  • What effect the medicine will have on the illness.
  • When and how your are meant to take the medicine.
  • For how long you should continue taking the medicine.
  • What side effects the medicine can have and what you should do if any appear.
  • If there are situations in which you shouldn't take the medicine.

If there is anything you don't understand, ask what it means.

The person prescribing the medicine will also write down how the medicine is to be taken. This information will be on the label that the pharmacy staff sticks onto each item of medicine.

​Deadly diseases or injuries

If you contract a serious disease or become very seriously injured you must be taken to an emergency ward in a hospital. 

Phone SOS alarm on telephone number 112


Medicines are bought in pharmacies. Some medicines require a prescription from your doctor. The pharmacy staff know a great deal about various illnesses and medicines. They will be able to answer many of your questions. Pharmacies also have information and brochures about different illnesses.

This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies