Advice and Support

Social Services

One of the social services’ most important duties is to see to it that children and young people are secure as they grow up. You can turn to social services to obtain help and support with various problems which the family finds it difficult to resolve on its own. You can get advice and support if you have problems with family questions, drugs, crime, and more. If you know of any child or young person who is doing poorly you may contact social services.

Read more in the National Board of Health and Welfare's brochures​.

Advice on parenting

In some municipalities special parenting advice is available and you can turn to it with questions concerning your parenting.

The Act on Care of the Young (LVU)

If the parents of a person who is under age 18 for any reason cannot give the young person the support he or she needs, or if the young person himself or herself is living a destructive life, for example, with drug abuse or criminality, the young person can be taken care of involuntarily in accordance with the act on care of the young, LVU..

It is required that the unsatisfactory state of affairs means that there is a palpable risk that the young person’s health or development will be damaged, and that the care which is needed cannot be provided in a voluntary way.

On the website Sweden’s Courts (Sveriges Domstolar) you can read more about the Act on care of the young (LVU).

​​Advice for the family

Do you as a couple or as a family have problems in your relationship? If so, there is an opportunity for support and advice at Advice for the Family (Familjerådgivningen). Advice for the family works with couples, individuals and families.

You can obtain information on Advice for the family at the municipality’s home page.

Parents’ group

All parents can sometimes need support in their parenting. At your municipality’s home page there is information on what support for parenting you can get in your municipality.

Most of the municipalities offer forms of training in parenting during the time the child is growing up.

At training for parenting, you as a parent can trade knowledge and experiences with other parents.

The family courts

If you are getting divorced and are not in agreement about who will have custody, you can contact the family law section. They can help you find a solution. If you do not come to an agreement, it becomes a legal matter to be judged in the district court. The district court then asks the family law section to conduct an investigation before the district court decides which of the parents is to have custody and where the children will live.

Family centrals

A family central operates an activity which is focused on parents and children. A family central should contain at least maternal health care, child health care, an open pre-school and social services with an orientation towards preventive work.

Open pre-school

An open pre-school is a pedagogical group activity for children. The open pre-school accepts younger children and their parents or other adults. All are welcome, and you do not need to apply for a place.

This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies