Car, bus, train and flight

Driving licence in Sweden

​To drive a car in Sweden, you must be 18 years old or above and have a driving license. If you have a driving licence from your country of origin, there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to drive a car in Sweden.

If you have a driving licence from a country that is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) your licence applies for as long as it applies in the country where it was issued. A driving licence in this category can be exchanged for a Swedish licence.

If your driving licence was issued by a non-EEA country, it cannot be exchanged for a Swedish driving licence. If you are nationally registered in Sweden, you may use such a licence to drive in Sweden for up to one year. Once you have been nationally registered in Sweden for more than one year, your licence will no longer be valid. If you are not nationally registered in Sweden, there is no limit on how long you may use your licence to drive in Sweden.

The Swedish Transport Agency’s website has easy-to-read information about obtaining a driving licence in Sweden.

Public transport

In most cities, public transport is available for everyone. It can for instance be buses, trams, metros and ferries that run between several stations in the cities or trains and buses that run between cities and in the countryside. Domestic flights also operate between some cities. There are also ferries that operate from the mainland to Gotland.

To use public transport, you are required to purchase a ticket. On, you can search for trips between all the stations in Sweden. You can also buy tickets to travel to other cities all over Sweden.

Photo: Misak Nalbandian


Several different train and bus companies operate services between different towns and cities in Sweden.

Make sure you buy a ticket from the company you will be travelling with before you get on board a train or bus. You will often be unable to buy a ticket on board. On journeys where you can buy a ticket on board, it is often more expensive than buying a ticket in advance.

Many train tickets contain the carriage number and seat number, which show you where to sit. If you have bought a personal ticket you must be able to produce a valid ID document that matches the name on the ticket in the event of an inspection.

Examples of valid ID documents: passport, national ID card or driving licence issued in Sweden, the Nordic region or the EU/EEA. An LMA card (issued by the Swedish Migration Agency in connection with an asylum application) can also be used for travel within Sweden. The only acceptable ID document issued outside the EU/EEA is a passport.

Tickets are inspected when you get on board the bus. If you are travelling by train, your ticket is inspected on board the train. If you are travelling without a valid ticket you must pay a charge or get off the train.

Rules on board

Make sure you show consideration and do not disturb other passengers. You may not, for example, encroach on other passengers’ space or use mobile phones in a way that is perceived to be irritating.

If you do not observe the rules on board, staff may decide that you have to leave the train or bus. This may be because, for example, you are creating a disturbance, not obeying staff’s instructions, travelling without a valid ticket or have too much luggage.


In most trains and buses you can only take as much luggage as you can easily carry yourself. All luggage must be stored in the designated place, for example in the train’s luggage rack, on the overhead shelves or beneath the seat, or in the bus’s luggage compartment.


Smoking is banned in all trains and buses. If you ignore this ban, you risk being unable to continue your journey.


It is illegal to go onto railway tracks. You may only cross the tracks at specially designated crossings. You must not be on a crossing when booms are being lowered, have been lowered or are being raised, the warning bell rings, the stop signal is shown or a train is approaching. If an unauthorised person is in the track area, the police are alerted.

Border controls on journeys from Denmark

If you are travelling from Denmark to Sweden, your ID document will be checked at the border. If you do not have a valid ID document, you will not be allowed to cross the border. Children under the age of 18 do not need a valid ID document if they are travelling together with a parent with valid ID.

Examples of valid ID documents for travel to Sweden: passport, national ID card or driving licence issued in Sweden or the Nordic region. An LMA card (issued by the Swedish Migration Agency in connection with an asylum application) is not acceptable for this ID inspection.

​Make sure you:

  • Buy a ticket before you get on board.
  • Do not have more luggage than you can easily carry yourself.
  • Remember that smoking is prohibited.
This site contains information about the Swedish society and is run by the County Administrative Boards of Sweden
© Copyright 2016 County Administrative Board of Västra Götaland

We use cookies to give you a better user experience. By continuing to surf on you accept cookies.

Read more about cookies