Family reunification

Last updated: 1 6 2020

You can read here about family reunification.

What is family reunification?

Family reunification means that a family that has been split up can apply to be allowed to live together in Sweden with the person who has been granted a permanent residence permit or a three-year residence permit as a refugee.

Who is entitled to family reunification?

Your immediate family is entitled to move to be with you (your spouse, cohabitant or partner, and children under 18). You have to be over 21 years of age and must have been married or cohabiting before you fled.

Your family can apply for residence permits in order to move to you in Sweden if you:

  • have been granted a permanent residence permit,
  • have been granted a temporary residence permit as a refugee or a person in need of subsidiary protection and are deemed to have good chances of receiving a permanent residence permit.

What are the rules?

In order to be allowed to have your family join you here you may need to show that you can manage to support all of you (maintenance requirement). You also need to have a home that is appropriate for the entire family.

If your family applies for residence permits within three months of your being granted a residence permit, the maintenance requirement will not apply for you.

What is the best way to prepare?

Remember to describe everything about your family in your asylum application. This is important for your possibilities of becoming reunified with them later.