Improve your chances of getting a job
Last updated: 5 6 2020
There are several different ways of improving your chances of finding a job.
If you already have training in one of the professional areas listed below, read more about what you can do.
Short-handed professions – with a shortage of labour
A short-handed profession is one for which there is a shortage of labour. There are many short-handed professions in Sweden at the moment, including ones that require higher education training as well as those with lower training requirements.
Some examples of short-handed professions:
- Preschool teachers
- Civil engineers
- Heating, ventilation and sanitation installers
- Assistant nurses
Doing a traineeship can be a good way of improving your chances of finding a job in Sweden.
A traineeship is a good idea if you want to:
- Get experience of a particular profession.
- Learn what a particular profession involves.
- Become better at a particular profession.
- Get references from an employer in order to apply for a job.
You will be helped by a supervisor during your traineeship. At the end of your traineeship you'll get a certificate from the employer.
You can contact various employers yourself to ask whether you can do a traineeship with them. Arbetsförmedlingen can also help you find a traineeship place.
Snabbspår (Fast Track)
If you have recently been granted a residence permit and are looking for a job, you may be eligible for what is known as a Snabbspår, or fast track. This is a training programme organised by Arbetsförmedlingen.
You may be eligible for a fast-track training programme if you have experience of a profession for which there is a shortage of labour in Sweden. Such professions are referred to as short-handed professions.
A snabbspår includes:
- Swedish language training for your profession.
- A traineeship.
- Assessment of how well you know the profession. This is known as validating your knowledge.
- Extra training in the profession if you need to. This is known as supplementary training or labour market training.
Snabbspår are available for several different professions.
Local job tracks – work for recent recipients of a residence permit
Arbetsförmedlingen and municipalities together organise what are known as local job tracks (lokala jobbspår). A local job track is a programme you can attend via Arbetsförmedlingen. You will be matched with an employer close to where you live, who needs to hire employees.
A local job track will often include:
- Swedish language training.
- Training in the profession in question.
- A traineeship.
Contact Arbetsförmedlingen if you are interested in local Jobbspår (Job Tracks).