Last updated: 26 6 2019

A person with an impairment is someone with a reduction in their physical, mental or intellectual abilities. About one in every four people in Sweden has some form of impairment.

People with impairments have the same rights to participate in society as everyone else. For example, children with impairments must be given child care and schooling like all other children. All forms of discrimination on the basis of impairments are prohibited under the Discrimination Act.

Individual support

In order to make participation in society on equal terms possible, there are several types of individual support for people with impairments. What support you receive depends on your impairment and on what support you need.

Via Försäkringskassan you can become eligible for various forms of compensation, such as for having your home and car adapted to your needs, or various other financial benefits.

You can receive support from the health and medical care services in the form of rehabilitation and prescriptions for aids (devices to help you). If you have any questions about what support is available for you, contact your region.

You can also be given individual support by your municipality. This can be in the form of personal assistance, special needs housing, or an attendant to help you get around. If you have difficulties travelling on your own or on public transport (buses, trains, trams) you may be eligible for transport services (Färdtjänst). This means you travel in a taxi or a minibus. If you have any questions about what help is available for you, contact the social services in your municipality.

If you have an impairment you may also be eligible for special support in the form of a job or other activity that you can do. This includes help in getting employed in special forms of employment and applying for working aids.

Further information