Guide for people with foreign qualifications

Last updated: 30 7 2018

In the guide you can read about what you need to do if you have a foreign qualification.

What applies to people educated in another country?
  • Documentation from another country than Sweden?

    When you apply for a job, for a place at a university college or a university, or to supplementary education, it will make things easier for you, for the employer and the education provider if you have had an evaluation of your foreign qualifications made.

    Degree certificates need to be translated unless they are in Swedish, English, French, Spanish or German, or in one of the Nordic languages.

  • No documents

    If you lack documentation of all or part of your post-upper secondary education you can still apply to UHR, as you may be able to get an official description of your educational background instead of a recognition statement about it.

    You can use the official description when you apply for a job or for further education.

  • Documents that need to be translated

    If your grades and certificates are in not in Swedish, any of the other Nordic languages, English, German, French or Spanish then they may need to be translated.

    This may be so that the employer understands if your grades are relevant to the work you seek. It may also be to apply for studies at university level or for supplementary education.

    If you are registered with the Swedish Employment Service (Af) you may receive help with the translation. If you are not registered, you must rely on an authorised translator.

Which type of education do you have?

Which agency you shall turn to in order to have your education assessed depends on the type of education you have and whether it is completed or not.