Animal and environment

Last updated: 4/7-2024

There are six entry-regulated professions in animal health and medical care. These include veterinary surgeon and veterinary nurse. For agronomists, foresters, biologists and similar, an assessment is made by the Swedish Council for Higher Education.

Evaluation of foreign degree​

For the entry-regulated occupations, the Swedish Board of Agriculture decides if your education entitles you to professional status qualification in Sweden or if it can lead to a licence to practise after supplementary education. Following the evaluation, you are informed if you can apply for professional status qualification, require supplementary education or are unable to obtain professional status qualification.

Animal health professionals

There are six entry-regulated occupations within animal health care:

  • Licenced veterinary surgeon
  • Licenced veterinary nurse
  • Registered farrier
  • Authorised registered nurse
  • Authorised registered physiotherapist
  • Licenced dentist

An evaluation of foreign degrees is made by the Swedish Council for Higher Education.

Supplementary education programmes

Once you have had your education assessed and validated, you can either seek a job directly or undertake supplementary education to improve your prospects of finding work.

Supplementary education is provided at higher education institutions in Sweden. They qualify for financial aid and last for 1-2 years.