Family reunification

Last updated: 22 8 2019

You can read here about how your family can apply to be reunited with you in Sweden.

What is family reunification?

Family reunification means that a family that has been split up can apply to be allowed to live together in Sweden with the person who has been granted a permanent residence permit or a three-year residence permit as a refugee.

Who is entitled to family reunification?

Your immediate family is entitled to move to be with you (your spouse, cohabitant or partner, and children under 18). You have to be over 21 years of age and must have been married or cohabiting before you fled.

Your family can apply for residence permits in order to move to you in Sweden if you:

  • have been granted a permanent residence permit,
  • have been granted a temporary residence permit as a refugee or a person in need of subsidiary protection and are deemed to have good chances of receiving a permanent residence permit.

What are the rules?

In order to be allowed to have your family join you here you may need to show that you can manage to support all of you (maintenance requirement). You also need to have a home that is appropriate for the entire family.

How do you apply for family reunification?

Your family submits an application from the country where they are living. They can apply at the Swedish Embassy or on the Migration Agency's website.

When your family applies for family reunification they have to prove who they are. They need to show valid passports or equivalent identity documents.