Driving licence in Sweden

Last updated: 3 7 2019

You have to be 18 years old and have a driving licence in order to be allowed to drive a car in Sweden.

If you have a valid driving licence from another country you are allowed to drive in Sweden during the time you are an asylum seeker. Swedish rules apply in Sweden – for example, you have to be 18 years old in order to be allowed to drive a car in Sweden.

Foreign driving licences

If you have a foreign driving licence you are allowed to drive in Sweden. You have to be carrying the driving licence when you are driving. The licence has to have a photo of you on it. If it does not, you have to be carrying valid ID. If your driving licence is not in English, German or French, the police may require that you carry a translation of your driving licence. The translation has to be certified.

If you have a driving licence from a country that is part of the European Economic Area* (EEA), the licence applies for as long as it applies in the country where it was issued. You must not have exchanged it for a Swedish licence either. Your driving licence applies even if you are registered as resident in Sweden.

Was your driving licence issued in a country outside the EEA? If so, it is valid in Sweden if it is valid in the country where it was issued and it has not been exchanged for a Swedish driving licence. The driving licence does not apply in Sweden if you have been registered as resident here for more than one year.

*The EEA countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Applying for a Swedish driving licence

You can read more on the Swedish Transport Agency's website about exchanging foreign driving licences for Swedish ones, getting a driving licence in Sweden, and much else.

Getting a driving licence in Sweden

You need to be permanently resident in Sweden in order to get a Swedish driving licence. If you want to get a driving licence you must have a valid driving licence permit in order to be allowed to practice driving and then do a driving test. You apply for a driving licence permit from the Swedish Transport Agency.

Driving lessons and driving tests cost money. You pay for them yourself, or in certain situations you can apply for loans to pay for them. You can apply for driving licence loans from Centrala Studiestödsnämnden (CSN) if you are between 18 and 47 years old and you have been unemployed for some time.