Population registration

Last updated: 21 9 2018

Image Boken om Sverige
This material is from the book About Sweden.

​Population registration means that you are registered with the Tax Agency as living in a municipality in Sweden. All those who are registered are given a personal identity number. Many of the rights and obligations you have are dependent on your being registered and on where you are registered. This applies e.g. to the right to child benefit and housing allowance, and to where you have to pay tax and cast your vote. Each municipality plans its activities according to how many people live in it. If you move, you have to notify the Tax Agency of this within a week.

Population registration certificate

A national registration certificate is a document that shows what information the Tax Agency has about you, such as your name, address and marital status. You need a national registration certificate e.g. to get a driving licence. Bear in mind that a national registration certificate cannot be used to prove your identity.

If you need a population registration certificate, you can order this from the Tax Agency's website or go to one of the Tax Agency's offices. It is easy to get a population registration certificate when you need it.

ID card

ID card is short for identity card. You use your ID card to prove your identity and age e.g. when picking up medication from a pharmacy or dealing with bank matters. You can apply for an ID card at some of the Tax Agency's service centres. The cost of applying for an ID card is SEK 400, and the card is valid for five years. The Tax Agency's website has more information about which of their offices issue ID cards.

In order to apply for an ID card you have to be registered in Sweden, be at least 13 years old and be able to prove your identity. If you are under 18 years of age you need your guardian's consent in order to get an ID card. A guardian is the person or persons who is legally responsible for a child under 18.

You can prove your identity by showing an accepted ID document or by taking a person along who can affirm your identity. This person can e.g. be your spouse or registered partner, your parent/guardian, your sibling or your adult child. In some cases an employer or a person from a public authority, who knows you well, can provide the affirmation.

The Tax Agency's ID cards are an accepted ID document in Sweden. You cannot use your Tax Agency ID card instead of a passport when you travel abroad. If you lose your ID card, you have to call 020-32 32 62 and block it, so that no one else can use it. If your ID card gets stolen you also have to notify the police as well.

ID card Photo: Swedish Tax Agency

Authorised identification documents in Sweden

The following are authorised identification documents:

  • an ID card issued by the Swedish Tax Agency,
  • a Swedish driving licence,
  • an SIS-labelled Swedish ID card issued by a bank, Svensk Kassaservice or a central government authority,
  • a staff ID card issues by a central government authority,
  • a Swedish national ID card,
  • a Swedish passport with a dark-red cover,
  • a foreign EU passport issued after 1 September 2006, or
  • a passport from Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein issued after 1 September 2006.

Holders of residence permits without an accepted ID document

If you have a residence permit, but do not have authorised identification documents or someone who can certify as to who you are, you can still obtain an ID card. The Swedish Tax Agency can compare your details with the information held by the Swedish Migration Agency. The Tax Agency compares your name, height, photograph, signature, travel documents and proof of residence permit. You need to provide both your passport and proof of your residence permit. If you do not have a passport, you only provide proof of your residence permit. If you want to prove your identity in this way, you have to say so when applying for the ID card.