Social insurance

Last updated: 21 9 2018

Image Boken om Sverige
This material is from the book About Sweden.

Social insurance policies are an important aspect of Swedish society. They provide economic protection in the event of illness and work-related injuries, as well as for families and children, for people with functional impairments and for the elderly.

Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency) determines whether you are entitled to social insurance. Försäkringskassan is the public authority that also pays out the insurance money. Pensionsmyndigheten (the Swedish Pensions Agency) pays out pensions and financial support for the elderly.

The first time you apply for an allowance, the Social Insurance Agency conducts an investigation to determine whether you are entitled. Some examples of different allowances you can apply to the Social Insurance Agency for are listed below:

Housing allowance

If you have a low income and are registered on the population register in Sweden, you may be entitled to receive help from the Social Insurance Agency in order to pay your rent. This is called housing allowance. You can apply for housing allowance if you have children. The number of people in your family determines whether you are entitled to housing allowance and, if so, how much. This also depends on how high your rent is and how much you earn. If you are between 18 and 28, you may also have a right to housing allowance. It is important that you inform the Social Insurance Agency is your income changes. Otherwise you may become liable to pay money back.

Allowances for parents

There are allowances that are available to people who are parents or are going to become parents. You are entitled to pregnancy benefits if you are expecting a child and your work is heavy and you cannot change your work duties.

When you have had a child, you are entitled to parental allowance and temporary parental allowance. You are entitled to receive a parental allowance for 480 days that you are at home with your child. You are also entitled to receive money when you are off work taking care of your sick child. This applies until the child is twelve years old.

All parents are also entitled to child benefit, which is a monthly payment of SEK 1,250 made for children up to the age of 16. If you have more than one child, you receive a higher child benefit known as a child benefit supplement. If you have joint custody of your children with their other parent, the two of you share the child benefit.

If your child has a disability, you are entitled to other allowances. Parents of children with disabilities can apply for childcare allowance.