Visitors from abroad

Last updated: 1/12-2022

If your family and friends from a country outside of the EU are going to visit you, they may need visas.

Your visitors need an invitation from you in order to be granted visas. The Migration Agency has a special form you need to fill in and send to the people you want to invite. A visa is valid for 90 days. Each applicant must have their own invitation.

Visitors who want to spend more than 90 days in Sweden need a visitor's permit. There is a different form for that.

Along with the form, you have to send in:

  • a special national registration certificate issued by the Tax Agency,
  • a photocopy of an identity document
  • a document indicating who will pay for maintenance during the visit.

The visitors need to prove that they have money for the journey and for their subsistence. They also need a health insurance policy that will cover the costs if they should become ill during their visit.

Each visitor has to submit their own visa application – you cannot apply for someone else. Applications are submitted to a Swedish embassy or consulate general.