How to protect yourself and others from spreading the corona virus and covid-19
Last updated: 30 3 2020
A new coronavirus is spreading around the world.. The virus causes an illness which has been named covid-19. This illness often causes symptoms similar to the common cold or the flu. Most people who catch covid-19 only become mildly ill and do not need to contact the health care services.
Seven simple tips for protecting yourself and others
- Stay at home if you are ill or have mild symptoms such as a sore throat, a cough or a runny nose. Stay at home for at least 48 hours after you have recovered.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Use a hand sanitiser when washing your hands is not possible.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is ill.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a paper tissue.
- Avoid visiting elderly people if you are ill or have any illness symptoms.
Important phone numbers
- Call 113 13 for answers to any general questions you have about covid-19.
- If you can't manage self care at home, phone the health care helpline on 1177.
- In life-threatening situations, call 112.
More information about the coronavirus and covid-19: