Medical care and health

Last updated: 11 9 2018

Everyone who lives in Sweden is entitled to the medical care they need. More information about medical and dental care in Sweden is available on these pages. They also contain suggestions for what you can do yourself in order to maintain your health.

1177 Vårdguiden

County councils and regions are responsible for health and medical care in Sweden. Every county council or region has its own website with information about the medical care it offers in hospitals and medical care centres. There is also a joint website for all county councils and regions, 1177 Vårdguiden.

1177 Vårdguiden has information about what kind of clinic is best for your condition or needs. It also contains contact information and opening times for medical and dental care centres all over the country.

Fees charged for medical and dental care

Children and young people under the age of 20 receive free medical and dental care in most county councils and regions. If you are more than 20 years old you usually have to pay a fee when you seek medical care. The amount you have to pay varies between different county councils and regions.

If you require medical care frequently, there is a system to protect you against excessive costs. This ensures that your costs for medical care and medication do not become too high.

Functional impairments

A person with a functional impairment has a reduced ability to function physically, mentally or intellectually. If you have a functional impairment you are entitled to support and help.

Subjected to violence

Using violence, threatening or harming others is forbidden. Violence comes in different forms, including physical, mental, sexual, financial and material violence. If you have been subjected to violence you are entitled to protection and support.