If you have fled the war in Ukraine

Last updated: 13 4 2022

All the information for people who have fled the war in Ukraine is here. Other parts of the website will be translated into Ukrainian shortly.

If you are arriving in Sweden from Ukraine you can stay for up to 90 days without a visa, if you have a biometric passport. If you want to work and for your children to be able to go to school you need to apply for a residence permit from the Migration Agency.

Applying for protection under the Temporary Protection Directive

If you have fled the war in Ukraine you may be entitled to a residence permit with temporary protection in Sweden under the EU’s Temporary Protection Directive.

You can read more on the Migration Agency’s website about who can apply for a temporary residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive. It also has information about how to apply and what happens after you get a decision.

If you have been granted a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive

The Temporary Protection Directive entitles you to:

  • accommodation through the Migration Agency (you cannot choose the location)
  • seek urgent medical care
  • some financial support
  • schooling for children
  • work in Sweden.

Accommodation in Sweden

You can arrange your accommodation yourself or get accommodation with the help of the Migration Agency. If you choose to arrange your own accommodation you have to pay the rent yourself. Remember to notify the Migration Agency of your address if you arrange your own accommodation.

Note that the Migration Agency has a list of residential areas with social and economic challenges. If you choose to live in one of those areas you may lose your right to financial support from the Migration Agency. You can check on the Migration Agency’s website whether the address you want to move to is in an area that may affect your right to financial support from the Migration Agency.

Municipalities in Sweden

Everyone who lives in Sweden lives in a municipality. A municipality can be a city, a town or several towns together. There are 290 municipalities in Sweden. 

Informationsverige.se has information about all of Sweden's municipalities. You can read about what the different municipalities have in terms of schools , work and housing, for example.

If you have brought a pet with you from Ukraine

If you are bringing a dog, cat or other pet with you from Ukraine, you have to notify customs officials or a vet of this when you reach the Swedish border. If your pet from Ukraine is not examined at the border, you have to contact a vet as soon as possible. The vet will examine your pet and the documents you have for it.

Bear in mind that your pet is not allowed to come into contact with other animals or people until it has been examined by a vet. This is important, as there are several cases of rabies in Ukraine every year while the disease has been eradicated in Sweden. The aim is to prevent the spread of rabies.

If you need medical care

Adults who have a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive are entitled to emergency medical care, emergency dental care, and other urgent care. Medical care staff determine if your care needs are urgent. You are also entitled to care in connection with childbirth, care in connection with an abortion, advice on contraceptives, maternity care, and care under the Communicable Diseases Act (a law to prevent the spread of infectious diseases). To have access to these forms of care you first need to register with the Migration Agency. This applies for children as well as adults. You will also be offered a general health examination.

If you become ill or injured, or if you feel mentally unwell, you should begin by contacting a medical care centre. If you are unsure of when to seek care, you can always call 1177 Vårdguiden. The number is +46 771 1177 00. If it’s an emergency and someone’s life is in danger, call 112.

Vaccination against covid-19
In Sweden, everyone from the age 12 is entitled to get vaccinated against COVID-19. Vaccination against COVID-19 is free of charge and voluntary.

If your child needs care

Children and young people under the age of 18 are entitled to the same medical care and dental care as other children living in Sweden. Children are usually offered care for free, but this may vary depending on where you live.

Children are also entitled to vaccinations against common infectious childhood diseases.

Financial support

If you don’t have money of your own, you can apply for financial support from the Migration Agency. The money you receive from the Migration Agency is intended to cover costs for food and clothes as well as personal expenses.

You can apply for financial support when you visit the Migration Agency or by sending an application form to the Migration Agency by post.

Bank account

If you have a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive, you are entitled to open a bank account with a Swedish bank. To become a customer of a Swedish bank, you have to be able to prove your identity and answer questions about why you need a bank account.

Preschool and school for children

Children and young people who have been granted a residence permit are entitled to attend preschool and school. Schooling is free of charge. Contact the municipality where you live and tell them that you want your child/children to attend preschool or school.

Working in Sweden

Arbetsförmedlingen’s website has information about how you go about looking for work in Sweden.

If you get a job, you have to register with the Tax Agency in order to pay tax.

If you have been granted a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive and you have a job, you may be entitled to benefits such as sickness benefit if you become ill and unable to work. You apply for sickness benefit with Försäkringskassan.

If you have a foreign qualification

If you have a foreign qualification, you can request to have it assessed in order to know what it is equivalent to in Sweden and have it officially recognised. This can be a help if you want to apply for jobs or study in Sweden. The assessment and recognition are carried out by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR).

If you have a functional impairment

A functional impairment is a reduction of a person’s physical, mental or intellectual capability.

If you have a functional impairment that makes it difficult for you to communicate when you are in contact with the Migration Agency or with other government agencies, you are entitled to receive help and support.

A functional impairment does not affect your chances of being granted a residence permit.

You may also be entitled to accommodation that is adapted to your needs. Talk to your reception unit at the Migration Agency about what support you are entitled to. 

If you have a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive you are not entitled to support under LSS (the Act on Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments). But you can contact your municipality and ask what support is available where you live. 

There are several different organisations that provide help and support to people with functional impairments.

Activities where you live

There are various activities organised for people who have recently arrived in Sweden. Municipalities and associations have activities in which you can get to know new people and practise speaking Swedish. Other activities include those where you learn more about Swedish society and the Swedish labour market. There are also various activities that help you improve your health.

Contact your municipality or search on its website to find out what activities are available in your municipality.

Learning Swedish

Informationsverige.se offers the digital language learning package "Lära svenska". You can use it to practise Swedish on your own by doing exercises and watching videos. The package is free and easy to use.

If you have been subjected to violence or human trafficking

When large numbers of people are fleeing a region or country, they may be offered help by people who seem to mean well but who want to profit from the situation. There may be a risk of human trafficking and other forms of violence.

Bear the following things in mind if anyone offers to arrange travel, accommodation or work for you:

  • Never hand over your passport, other important documents, or your phone.
  • Ask people who offer to help you to prove their identity. 
  • Make sure you get information about the destination and contact details for the people responsible for making travel arrangements. Document all the information you get. 
  • Inform someone you trust about where you are, where you are going, and who you are travelling with. 
  • You are entitled to a salary if you work in Sweden. Never accept offers to exchange work for somewhere to live or for food or other goods. 
  • Contact the Swedish authorities. Register with the Migration Agency.

If you or someone you know are subjected to violence, help is available. Report or give tip-offs about crime to the police by calling +46 77-114 14 00. Call 112 if it’s an emergency.

If you or someone you know is being subjected to threats and violence, you can call Kvinnofridslinjen, the National Women’s Helpline. Kvinnofridslinjen is always open. Your call is free of charge. You do not need to give your name when you call. The number is +46 20-50 50 50. There are interpreters available to translate to and from several languages.

Have you witnessed war crimes?

The Swedish police have a team investigating war crimes that may have occurred during Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. They want to hear from anyone who has been subjected to, or who has witnessed other civilians who have been subjected to, an armed attack or similar violence in Ukraine after 24 February 2022.

Email registrator.kansli@polisen.se and mark your message with “to the War Crimes Investigation Team”, or call the police’s Contact Centre at phone number +46 114 14 for help with contacting the right person.