Last updated: 22/2-2023

There are many things to think about once you have found a home. Here are some things it is important for you to know.

Cancel your previous rental contract

If you are moving from a rented flat you need to cancel your contract. The notice period can vary between different landlords. We recommend that you make your notice of cancellation in writing.

Population registration, address change and forwarding of post

Population registration means that you are registered by the Tax Agency as resident in a Swedish municipality. Many of your rights and obligations, such being entitled to certain allowances and being able to vote, are dependent on your being registered.

When you move you have to notify the Tax Agency of your new address. This is in order for your population registration to be correct and for your post from public authorities to be sent to your new address. You can also request forwarding of post, which means that all post sent to your old address will be forwarded to your new address. Forwarding of post can be requested from Svensk Adressändring.

Subscriptions and contracts

There may be several subscriptions and contracts that you need to cancel or transfer to your new address. Bear in mind that many contracts have a specified period of notice of cancellation or a contract term, so you should give notice of cancellation well before you are going to move. Examples of subscriptions and contracts that may need to be transferred or cancelled:

  • Landline phone subscription (not a mobile subscription)
  • Internet subscription
  • Pay TV channels
  • Electricity contract
  • Parking
  • Alarm
  • Insurance

Home insurance

It is important to have an insurance policy that protects you and your belongings. Almost all homes in Sweden have home insurance. A home insurance policy is a basic protection that can reimburse the value of your belongings if they are stolen or become damaged by fire or water. A home insurance policy also provides protection for all those who are specified in the policy and who live in the same home. Home insurance policies also include basic travel insurance.

Final cleaning and inspection

In most cases you will be responsible for the final cleaning of your home, regardless of whether you live in a detached house, a tenant-owned flat or a rented flat. A final cleaning is much more extensive than a normal weekly cleaning, and requires a lot of time. You can either do the final cleaning yourself or hire a company to do it. If the final cleaning is not satisfactory you may become liable to pay compensation.

Usually a flat will be inspected when a tenant moves, and a record made of any damage. A tenant may become liable to pay compensation for damage caused to a rented property.

Your new home

It is important that you get all the keys to your new home. If you are moving into a rented flat it is a good idea to check the inspection record against the state of the flat, to ensure that there is no previous damage that has not been recorded.