Careers for university graduates

Last updated: 7/12-2022

You can read more here about what is required in order to work in certain professions in Sweden. If you have a foreign qualification in any of these professions you can read more about what to do in order to work within that profession.

Assessment of foreign qualifications

Evaluations of foreign qualifications are carried out by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). If you have a completed foreign qualification you can have it evaluated by submitting an application.

Supplementary education

For some professional groups there are bridging programmes at universities and university colleges in Sweden. They entitle you to student aid and are 1–2 years long. There are programmes for economists, engineers, nurses, social workers, systems analysts, doctors, and teachers, for example.

Regulated professions in Sweden

In Sweden there are certain professions that are regulated. This means that Swedish law defines what is required in order to be permitted to work within that profession. A specific qualification or authorisation might be required, for instance, or a certification or some other formal recognition. Examples of such regulated professions include doctors and teachers.

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) is not responsible for evaluating qualifications for regulated professions in Sweden. If you wish to work in a regulated profession you have to contact the competent authority and apply for the right to practice that profession.

Fast Track (Snabbspår) – a quicker route to work

Fast Track is now available in a number of professions and fields, and is intended for newly arrived jobseekers with experience in professions that have a shortage of practitioners in Sweden.

Fast Track includes training in job-related Swedish, internships, validation, supplementary programmes and professional competency evaluations.