Family reunification

Last updated: 8/12-2023

You can read here about family reunification.

What is family reunification?

Family reunification means that a family which has been split up can apply for permission to move to Sweden in order to live together with the family member who has been granted a residence permit.

Who is entitled to family reunification?

Your immediate family is entitled to move to be with you (your spouse, cohabitant or partner, and children under 18). You have to be over 18 years of age and must have been married or cohabiting before you fled.

Your family can apply for residence permits in order to move to you in Sweden if you:

  • have a permanent residence permit,
  • have a temporary residence permit, and you appear to have a good chance of getting a permanent residence permit.

What are the rules?

In order to be allowed to have your family join you here you may need to show that you can manage to support all of you (maintenance requirement). You also need to have a home that is appropriate for the entire family.

If your family applies for residence permits within three months of your being granted a residence permit, the maintenance requirement will not apply for you.

The maintenance requirement does not apply if you arrived in Sweden as a quota refugee, provided that your family applies for residence permits within three months of your arrival in Sweden.

What is the best way to prepare?

Remember to describe everything about your family in your asylum application. This is important for your possibilities of becoming reunified with them later.