Family reunification

Last updated: 21 9 2021

Children have the right to be with their family. This right is enshrined in the UN child convention, of which Sweden is a signatory.

Swedish authorities can help you find your family if you have arrived in Sweden without them. If your parents or other family members are in safety in another country, you can get help to travel there.

If your parents are not safe in another country, they are eligible for residence permits in Sweden, provided that you have a residence permit as a refugee or a person with subsidiary protection status. In some cases, they may also be eligible if you have been granted a residence permit for humanitarian reasons.

What is family reunification?

Family reunification means that a family which has been split up can apply for permission to move to Sweden in order to live together with the family member who has been granted a residence permit.

Who is entitled to family reunification?

If you have a residence permit in Sweden your parents or siblings can apply to be reunified with you in Sweden.

In order for the Migration Agency to be able to examine whether your parents are entitled to move to Sweden you, as the person living in Sweden, must:

  • be unmarried and under 18 years of age,
  • arrived in Sweden without your parents or another guardian, or if you have been left on your own after arriving in Sweden,
  • have a temporary or permanent residence permit.

Once you have received a decision on your residence permit – what is the next step?

Your parents can submit an application from the country they are living in. The application can be made at the Swedish Embassy or on the Migration Agency's website.

When your family applies for family reunification they have to prove who they are. They need to show valid passports or equivalent identity documents.

Once your family has made its application, the Migration Agency will want to ask you questions in an interview, or in a letter or email.